Follow our blog for tips to protect yourself, your business and your lifestyle.

Human Rights Claims

Here are some claims under Human Rights by both employees / employers:

1. Allegations by employee that his/her employer provides information to third parties he was incompetent, leading to unreceptive working environment.

2. Revenge claimed by employees.

3. When an employee sued for misuse of confidential information.

4. Where an employee files a complaint due to discrimination against culture, ethnic origin, race or even colour.

And more. If you are unsure of a situation you are in, call us and we will be more than happy to assist you.


Event Insurance

Event Insurance associated with events covers and protects planners in several specific areas especially in a society where lawsuits runs rampant, it’s always best to protect yourself from ever having to deal with those worst-case scenarios, especially if you’re the one in charge. Event Insurance provides general liability for specific events. Planners can purchase additional coverage that protects them from such things as liquor liability and event cancellation.

At its most basic, event insurance provides you with liability insurance. Other coverages that you may wish to add, include:

  • Event cancellation covers you if the event is canceled due to sickness, natural disasters, or property damage.
  • Host Liquor Liability protects you should one of your guests become inebriated and hurt himself or another person is an expensive but wise option for all licensed events. Failure to perform coverage steps in should your entertainer be unable to

No matter the size of your event or how well prepared you are, you never know when the worst-case scenario could become your reality.  The small things that cause the most problems if you’re not properly covered. So even the most basic coverage policy could prove to be a big help in the long run. Having the proper insurance can make the difference between a minor bump in the road and a complete detour.


Disability Insurance

Short Term Disability is an insurance policy that protects an employee from loss of income if one is temporarily unable to work due to illness, injury, or accident  or if an employee has inability to perform any or all aspects of their occupation. This pays a portion of your wages while you are out of work for a temporary disability as mentioned above. This is also a type of insurance that pays a percentage of an employee’s salary for a specified amount of time.

Applying for short-term disability generally requires that you complete an application form completed by your family doctor. Your doctor or physician needs to disclose your diagnosis, symptoms and treatment history. If this is available to you through work, you get the application form from your employer. If this is the case, ask your employer to fill out his or her portion. He or she needs to note how much you earn each week, your job title, nature of your work and your last day at work. If it’s through a private policy, contact your insurance company or broker to get the forms that you will need to fill out. When you are filling out the form, always include appropriate information. Explain the nature of disability as well as the date when you were first absent from work.

Friendly note: Report the claim as soon as you believe your absence from work may extend beyond the benefit of waiting period as outline on your policy.

It is a brilliant idea to have short and long term disability insurance nowadays. Accidents happen in a snap and you do no want to be left in a monetary bind. After all, peace of mind is more important than anything else.

Questions? Call us!

Long Term Care

Long Term Care Insurance, will help to offset the expenses that are incurred as a result of long-term care either at home or in a long-term care facility. A long term care plan will pay you tax free benefits as long as you cannot perform any two of the basic necessary activities of daily living – eating, bathing, dressing, using the toilet, or transferring positions (in and out of a bed or chair).

There are two types of Long Term Care Insurance Policies:

– One plan reimburses you for eligible expenses you receive on a given day, up to a pre-set maximum.

– The other type of plan is referred to as income-style. It is extremely flexible and provides you with an income benefit to cover any type of service that you require from any source including family members.

Want to know more? Call us now!

Critical Illness

Critical Illness Insurance provides a one-time lump sum benefit should you be diagnosed by a qualified physician or specialist with one of the illnesses covered by your policy, and you survive. Critical Illness Insurance coverage varies greatly from policy to policy and the term of the policy may also vary with some policies covering you to age 65, age 75, or for life. All applications are subject to a satisfactory statement of health, and the insurer may request that certain tests are performed.

Critical Illness Insurance policies may offer you the option of insurance for the three most commonly claimed critical illnesses, Heart Attack, Cancer, and Stroke. Depending on the insurer and the plan, up to 25 medical conditions may be covered. There are absolutely no restrictions on how you use the money. You can use it for anything that you choose including medical care, paramedical care, out-of-country treatment, alternative treatment, paying monthly bills, home renovations, adapting your vehicle, or taking a vacation.

Questions, call us now at 1.844.249.1700!

Home Insurance

Your home is more than just bricks and mortar, it’s a place of refuge, safety and your escape from the hustle and bustle of the everyday world. Home is where the things and people you love become the primary focus. At The Shepherd Group,  we know how important your home is to you, and that’s why we go above and beyond to help our clients find insurance that will protect them and give them peace of mind.

How does Homeowners Insurance Protect me?

Fire, theft, damage from the elements like wind, rain and snow and accidents. . . these are the kinds of unfortunate events that could cause you to lose sleep at night. A homeowners policy will cover the damage to your home and contents should one of these events occur, thus making it easier for you to get that much needed rest! The personal liability portion of a homeowners policy provides coverage for personal injury to anyone on your property or visiting your home.

Each home insurance policy offers slightly different protection, however there are 3 standard types of policies as follows:

Comprehensive: This is the most inclusive policy as it covers both the building and the contents against “All Risks” except for what is specifically excluded on the policy.

Broad: This is similar to the comprehensive policy as it does provide coverage for “All Risks” however only on the building. The contents coverage is on a named perils basis and would only be covered against the risks that are listed on the policy.

Basic or Named Perils: As the name would suggest, this is a very basic policy and only provides coverage against risks that are specifically stated in the policy. Basically, if it’s not listed, it’s not covered. This type of policy can save you a bit more money on your premium, but offers much less coverage.

Any type of home insurance includes:

* Tenant Insurance

* Condo Insurance

* Rented Dwelling Insurance

* Seasonal Dwelling Insurance


Vehicle Insurance

So, the Ontario government mandates everyone who wants to drive a car must have 2 main things; A valid drivers license, and car insurance. We buy vehicle insurance because we have to.  We are required by law to be financially responsible for any accident we cause.

Vehicle Insurance:

The Insured — the registered owner of the vehicle

The Vehicle — self explanatory. There are vehicles other than cars and vans that can be covered on an insurance policy., such as recreational vehicles and trailers. (i.e ATVs, snowmobiles, trailers)

The Coverage — there are compulsory and optional coverage available. The compulsory coverages are:

Third Party Liability — also called legal liability coverage that provides insurance for bodily injury and property damage arising from the use, ownership, or operation of a motor vehicle subject to exclusions (i.e vehicle use, war, limitations of who may drive the vehicle, and more)

Accident Benefits — coverage for costs arising from bodily injury to the driver and passengers including medical and funeral expenses, disability and death benefits.

Uninsured Automobile — coverage for bodily injury to the name insured and to any passengers in the vehicle in a situation where the other driver is uninsured or worst, is unknown (i.e hit and run accidents).

The optional coverages are:

All Perils Coverage — this is an all – risk coverage. This is the broadest coverage.

Collision or Upset — this coverage protects the insured against loss or damage to the vehicle resulting from collision with another object which is in contact with the road surface.

Comprehensive — this coverage includes damage to insured’s vehicle resulting from any peril other than collision.

If you are tired of reading, one of our experienced Advisors will be more than happy to assist you in defining the right policy for your needs, they LOVE to chat about vehicle insurance!

We’ve established that insurance is a necessity, so if we have to buy it, we want to ensure we are getting the best deal for our dollar. Call us now!

Professional Liability Insurance

Anyone who holds themselves out as having a special body of knowledge, skill, or expertise and are paid for their work, service or advice, are professionals. A professional liability or also known as Errors and Omissions Insurance. This policy covers liability arising out of negligent acts, errors and omissions in the rendering, or failing to render, of professional services. Such failure could have harmful consequences not only your company’s financial stability but your personal assets as well. Keep in mind that your general liability policy does not provide this protection, so it is important to understand the difference.

Professional liability insurance is applicable for any professional firm including lawyers, accountants, consultants, notaries, real estate agents, insurance agents and technology providers to name a few.