Follow our blog for tips to protect yourself, your business and your lifestyle.

Professional Liability Insurance

Anyone who holds themselves out as having a special body of knowledge, skill, or expertise and are paid for their work, service or advice, are professionals. A professional liability or also known as Errors and Omissions Insurance. This policy covers liability arising out of negligent acts, errors and omissions in the rendering, or failing to render, of professional services. Such failure could have harmful consequences not only your company’s financial stability but your personal assets as well. Keep in mind that your general liability policy does not provide this protection, so it is important to understand the difference.

Professional liability insurance is applicable for any professional firm including lawyers, accountants, consultants, notaries, real estate agents, insurance agents and technology providers to name a few.


Garage Auto Insurance

Who needs a Garage Auto Policy? Automobile dealers (new and used cars and trucks), repair garages, service stations, storage garages, parking lots, valet parking, drive away or delivery auto services and towing companies.

The Garage Auto Policy provides insurance to cover:

– insured’s legal liability for death, bodily injury and property damages to others;

– accident benefits for garage personnel

– physical damage insurance for owned vehicles for those businesses primarily engaged in the sale of automobiles. Usually, vehicles owned by the owners of repair or storage garages are insured on a standard owners policy not the garage auto policy.

– legal liability for physical damage to customer automobiles and other non-owned automobiles while in the garage’s care, custody and control.

Directors and Officers Liability

Whether your organization is publicly traded, private, or non-profit, your directors and officers are exposed to a number of liabilities. In the performance of their ongoing organizational duties, they can be held personally liable for both damages and defense costs.

Directors and Officers insurance (D&O) provides financial protection for the directors and officers of your organization in the event they are sued against their actions that affect the profitability or operations of the company.  This type of insurance can cover costs or damages lost as a result of a lawsuit. Claims can arise from a variety of sources – government, competitors, creditors, employees, as well as other stakeholders. In some cases, damages awarded are relatively minor. However, the cost of defending these types of claims can be significant, and could very well impact the financial viability of your organization.




Commercial Automobile Fleets and Trucking

Fleet Insurance is auto insurance for 5 or more commercial vehicles. Insuring your vehicles under one fleet policy can be less expensive than insuring each one individually. Fleet Insurance provides the same coverage and offers some added flexibility as company employees can drive any vehicle in the fleet, as long as each employee is licensed. The deductible options can differ between vehicles but the liability limits are the same for all vehicles listed on the policy.

Fleet insurance protects a company’s vehicles,vehicles hat carry employees, products or equipment. With commercial fleet insurance you can insure your work cars, SUVs, vans and trucks from damage and collisions.

If you do not have company vehicles, but employees drive their own cars on company business you should have non-owned auto liability to protect the company in case the employee does not have insurance or has inadequate coverage.

Construction and Bonding

We specialize in providing complete coverage for your company and the projects you are involved in. Whether you are a general contractor or a sub-trade we can offer a complete insurance solution to cover you and provide peace of mind.

We offer the following construction solutions:

  • General Liability Insurance
  • Professional Liability
  • Wrap-up Liability Program
  • Builders Risk and Installation Floater
  • Mechanical Breakdown (Boiler and Machinery)
  • Contractors Equipment Floaters
  • Risk Management & Loss Control
  • Environmental & Pollution Control Insurance

We offer the following bonding services:

  • Agreements to Bond
  • Bid Bonds
  • Performance Bonds
  • Labour & Material Payment Bonds
  • Maintenance Bonds
  • Prequalification Letters

Classes of contractors we support:

  • Developers
  • General Contractors
  • Manufacturers
  • Road Contractors (paving, grading)
  • Sewer and Watermain Contractors
  • Site Services
  • Subcontractors (ie. mechanical, electrical, drywall etc.)

Commercial Property Insurance

From small rental properties to multi-storey office buildings, or from warehouses to retail shopping malls, we have the knowledge and expertise to protect your commercial property with a custom insurance package. Property insurance protects the assets your business owns, including the building and equipment, from destruction or damage. Even if you run a home-based business and have home insurance, you’ll need to protect your business assets with separate contents insurance; your home owner’s policy will not cover business equipment.   Contents insurance protects your business equipment from perils such as fire, flood, or theft. To determine how much property or contents insurance you’ll need, create an itemized list of your business’s assets and their individual dollar values. Then decide which assets you actually want to insure and for what value, which will determine the insurance premium.

Helping you to determine your buildings’ replacement value and to ensure that your rental income is adequate, are some of the key concerns we will focus on in order to provide the insurance package and insurance company that is right for you.



Commercial General Liability

Commercial general liability insurance, or CGL as it is commonly referred to, is coverage that will protect your business in the event that you are sued. It is often used to cover claims against your business for injury or property damage. Typical examples include if a customer is injured at your place of business, or say an employee damages property at a client’s site.

Without a commercial general liability insurance policy, you are leaving yourself and your company vulnerable to lawsuits that could have a devastating impact on your business. It is, unfortunately, a necessary cost of doing business because the likelihood of being sued is more common than you might think. It is for this reason that commercial general liability insurance is one of the most popular business insurance products sought after by business owners.

Snowmobile Insurance

Snowmobiling is an immensely popular winter activity in Ontario.

If you are 16 years of age or older, to drive a snowmobile across a road, on roadways, and on trails, you must have a valid driver’s licence, motorized snow vehicle operator’s license. If you are 12 years of age or older, to drive a snowmobile on a trail, you must have a valid motorized snow vehicle operator’s licence that allows you to drive a snowmobile.

Insurance is not required while the snowmobile is being driven on the private property of the snowmobile’s owner however, in all other cases, the law requires that you have the following minimum coverages:

* Third-Party Liability Coverage of at least $200,000 to protect you if another person is killed or injured, or if their property is damaged.
* Statutory Accident Benefits Coverage to provide supplementary medical, rehabilitation, attendant care, caregiver, non-earner, income replacement, and death benefits if you are killed or injured in an accident, regardless of who caused it.

* Direct Compensation – Property Damage (DCPD) Coverage to pay for damage to your vehicle and its contents, if another driver is at fault for an accident.
* Uninsured Automobile Coverage to provide financial compensation for you and your family if you’re injured or killed by an unidentified driver or by an uninsured motorist. It also covers damage to your vehicle caused by an identified uninsured driver, up to $25,000.

If you are looking at insuring your snowmobile, it could be now or few months later, we at The Shepherd Group will guide you to make sure you and your snowmobile have the proper coverage. So contact us today to discuss your snowmobile needs, or any other insurance needs you can’t even imagine!

Recreational Vehicle Insurance

Whether you own a Motorhome, Fifth Wheel, Travel Trailer, Tent Trailer, Truck Camper or Park Model, we can provide the RV insurance that’s right for you.

Read More